Follow Angela Marvel | Fine Art at:


facebookfacebookfacebookfacebook


Monday, August 1, 2016

Broken

Broken

"Maybe it's not always about trying to fix something broken. Maybe it's about starting over and creating something better"

My new updated version of this photo is now this:


The idea for this photo came to me while I was at an antique store in Puyallup, WA. I saw this sign in the shop and my brain just started to work.


This is a perfect example of how inspiration can come from anywhere. That happens a lot with my ideas. I will see or read something and all of a sudden an idea pops into my mind and I have to stop what I am doing and jot down as much as I can. So although I didn't end up using this quote above for this photo and have since used this quote to inspire an entirely different self portrait, it's still was the reason I went down the path of a black bird with a broken wing.

When I have a self portrait idea that needs more depth, I start to ask questions and come up with the answers as a way to create a back story for the "character" in the image. I started with coming up with a reason why the black bird might have had a broken wing. Then I thought about how the bird might feel. Which lead me to how the bird might react to that situation. All these together lead me to the basic idea that I wanted the bird to be in a nest in a burnt forest with a broken wing. And that's when I usually draw a rough sketch. This is the actual sketch I did before the shoot.



Now how do you find a burnt forest? Well I got really lucky with that one. We travel along a road that goes through many national forests in Northeastern California and I had knowledge of a forest fire that had taken place along the road we drive. When I got this idea, I immediately knew where this photo needed to be taken. I was again lucky because we were planning to go again in just a few short weeks!

The harder part was that I did not know exactly what it would look like 3 months since I last saw it, which place to exactly go or what the weather would be like that day. But I planned for the portrait anyway and it all worked out. It was a perfect overcast morning and we found this wonderful access road that was away from everyone.

Here is a video that I shot that day and shows you what's its really like when I am on location at a shoot and have someone help me with the shutter.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP